An "I Hate Tucson" Day
I just have to face that I'm having an "I hate Tucson" day today.
I'm wondering if this place is clever AT ALL. It has no sense of irony. Everything about it is incredibly ironic but there's no self-awareness.
John Waters, come to Tucson, where irony is dead! Apparently my sense of irony also died in the hot sun. It's probably in a dessicated heap under a saguaro somewhere.
I think I need to spend some time away from campus...If I see one more pair of Tevas and "zip-off" pant/shorts I think I'm going to blow my top! If I see one more orange-tanned, bleach-blond undergrad wearing her rush letters and buying a latte and a muffin before she goes to the bathroom to stick her finger down her throat, I'll scream! If I see one more group of guys in Wildcat Wear "dude"-ing about going to the river this weekend, I'll freak out!
HELP!

3 Comments:
I'm in Chico right now with similar feelings. Though I spent most of my first 20 years here, it's now somewhat foreign. The (female) college students do seem ever-ready to vomit up their most recent meals (but this is typical of college campuses, including SF State and USF). But as for the local adults, they could probably use some vomiting. The level of obesity is shocking, and disgusting. Such heft is often correlated with driving grotesquely and obnoxiously huge pick-up trucks. I'm not talking large SUVs here, which are bad enough. These are large trucks jacked way, way up (requiring a ladder for entry), with enormous wheels. It's like a sad joke, but the owners aren't laughing. Plus it's hot here, of course. But the heat is refreshing.
Oh yeah Jason, that reminds me....I forgot to mention the two guys in a *monster truck* who yelled to me "hey ho, need some help with your groceries?!" after my grocery bag broke on the street the other day. A la Chico...? Where's the love? What charmers...bet the ladies are beating down the doors of that jacked up truck.
Well, SF doesn't suck as much, plus the weather is not desert hot. Wouldn't ya like to come back?
Post a Comment
<< Home